Understand the most commonly used SMS text messaging terms and vocabulary and take your marketing strategy to the next level.
Without understanding common SMS marketing terms, it is impossible to understand important metrics that can help boost your marketing campaign. A lack of understanding of these terms can lead to confusion when planning and implementing SMS marketing strategies.
Here is a list of the most common SMS marketing terms every marketing professional should know:
- Toll Free Texting: Toll Free texting allows businesses to send and receive messages using a toll-free number. This is great because customers can text or call the same number.
- Long Code: A long code is a 10 digit phone number that is used to send your SMS messages.
- A2P: A type of long code that stands for Application to person. This is a term that describes text communication from a platform to subscribers.
- P2P: A type of long code that stands for Person-Person long code. This type of long code allows you to send and receive messages from a business to the recipient, allowing for conversation.
- Shortcode: Compared to a long code, a short code is a 5 or 6 digit number that is used to send SMS messages to a mobile device, making it ideal for one way messaging and mass texting.
- SMS Keywords: Keywords are a word that a company sets, allowing subscribers to opt in-to receiving text messages from your company by simply texting that keyword to a long or short code. The beauty of SMS texting is that you can create multiple keywords that help create distribution groups based on which one they used to opt-in.
- A/B Testing: This is a term where two messages are sent to subscribers in order to see which message is received better. This is used to measure SMS marketing effectiveness.
- 2FA: This stands for two factor authentication, which is essentially a security measure that requires users to enter a one-time passcode when trying to access your account.
- CTA: This stands for call to action, which is the action that you want subscribers to take. Having a clear and concise call to action is crucial for every marketing campaign.
- CTR: Otherwise known as a click through rate, this is a measurement of messaging effectiveness that tracks how many times subscribers clicked on a link.
- Mail Merge: This is a field in messages that allows you to insert personalized information into your messages. These can include the contact’s name, your company’s name, and more!
- Conversion Rate: This is a statistic that measures the amount of SMS recipients who respond to a call to action.
- Delivery Rate: This measures the number of messages that are actually received by your subscribers.
- Subscriber Growth Rate: This is a measure of how many SMS subscribers are being added to your messaging chain.
- Opt-Out rate: Conversely, this is a measure of how many people opt out of your messages.
- QR Codes: QR codes are scannable images that direct subscribers to a webpage. This can be easily scanned with a phone camera.
Use this list of common SMS marketing terms to help you and your marketing team use all of Trumpia’s SMS software capabilities.
If you have any more questions, visit our blog where we provide a variety of information about SMS marketing for businesses.
Still got more questions? Visit our FAQ page for the answers to the most frequently asked SMS text marketing questions.